Followers

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Scratch That

In October of 2010, our city took up the topic of "Should backyard chickens be allowed within city limits?" - and, like a good participatory active citizen, I got involved.

At the city council meeting, I heard stuff like this:

"Chicken-keeping gives my kids responsibilities." - From a rouge backyard chicken-keeper.

"Chickens poop on everything in sight!" - From a former farmer.

The police chief and mayor being in attendance at the city council meeting may have encouraged the good citizens to keep it civil, but out on the mean streets of our sleepy middle American city, I heard this:

"We want fresh eggs for our Saturday morning omelets, and no goddamned bureaucratic bullshit should stop us."

"Chickens don't belong in town. The fucking things crow all night long."

"Store eggs are the end result of cruelty to animals!"

"What's next? Milk goats? I don't want our fine city turned into a godforsaken petting zoo!"

"Healthy food!"

"Bird flu!"


While chicken-keeping was not yet legal, several daredevil residents were already doing it. That fact set a precedence at the city council meeting, because if you can keep forbidden chickens and none of your neighbors are the wiser (or if they are, they are not perturbed enough to call in your sin to the local police department) that suggested chickens are not the wicked menace to our city's civilized society some had feared.

The city council and residents debated for over an hour - until tempers started to rise and ropes got short. Then, in a blessed breakthrough decision, it was determined - City residents are permitted to keep up to six backyard hens, no roosters. The ruling may be re-evaluated pending feedback from neighbors and concerned citizens.

It's been over a year, and contrary to some folks' fears, backyard chicken-keeping has not become the next offensive fad, like pants down to one's knees or pajama bottoms in public. The rouge hen-housers still have their hens, and I know of only one family that chose to add chickens to their household composition. We get our eggs from a friend who owns a local, organic farm. This ultimately decided our fate with regards to chicken-keeping...much to my husband's relief.

Which brings me to this blog entry's picture. I drew it as a pictorial representation for our community activist group - which got together one evening to discuss the fowl topic over drinks at our local watering hole. The reference to Otters is not a slam against the playful water-squirrel, it's a reference to our state's governor, "Butch Otter", who I call "The Butcher". I don't know his stance on backyard chickens, I do know he supports aerial wolf-hunting and other things I'm morally opposed to, therefore I did my best to add in my sentiments concerning another hot topic of the day.



So this picture, worth a thousand words, tells the story of a city fired up and a group of individuals taking a stand. It's also a good example of why I stick with writing.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment